Thursday, April 19, 2007

This Is Me Overthinking

It's Thursday evening as I write this. I haven't heard anything from Airport Girl since we played phone tag on Monday night. I'm not going to rush to call her back; no need to spook her. If she wants to talk about career-related stuff, as she said, I'm happy to do so, but she can call me for that; regarding next weekend when she's supposed to be here, I can wait until next week to try to talk to her again about that.

Generally speaking, though, this is the point in this process when I start second-guessing myself. I wonder, "what did I do wrong?" I suppose there are four possible answers to that question. I'll answer them in order of frequency that they happen to me, from lowest to highest:
  1. I didn't do anything wrong, and the girl at hand is interested. Hey, great. Wish this happened more.
  2. I did something wrong, and the girl was interested. I suppose this has two subsets:
    1. The girl was interested, but because of something I screwed up, she no longer is.
    2. The girl remains interested, despite what I did.
  3. I did something wrong, but the girl wasn't interested to start with, so no harm done.
  4. I didn't do anything wrong, but the girl wasn't interested to start with, so it really doesn't matter what I did.
I don't think I put my foot in my mouth (or something along those lines) all that often, I don't think. But if I'm going to try to be optimistic and assume that some women are interested in me, then it's only natural to conclude that when things don't pan out, it could be because I did something wrong.

Whatever. Things work out, or they don't. I dwell on this shit far too much.

No comments: