Friday, April 27, 2007

Ew.

As any New Yorkers out there will know, it's kinda gross out today. I gather once the rain passes, the weather will be nice towards the end of the weekend.

Most days I take a bus to work. The B51 stops basically right in front of my building (halfway up the block, to be specific) and takes me to City Hall, which is a short (about 5 minutes) walk to my office. On the other hand, the subway station is about a 7 minute walk from my apartment, and then 4 minutes to the office. In addition to there being less walking (nice when it's really hot or really cold), I like to take the bus because 1) I know exactly (theoretically - more on this later) when it's coming, 2) it gets disgustingly hot on the subway platforms in the summer, 3) when the weather isn't great I can wait inside the front door of my building until the bus gets there, and 4) the bus isn't nearly as crowded as the subway.

On some recent days, though, a wrench has been thrown into the works. Specifically, my bus has been early. WAY early. Like, ten minutes early. Now, I'm all for punctuality, but come on. Morning commuter buses have to run according to schedule. How am I supposed to plan my morning if the bus is going to be gone by the time I get to the curb (five minutes ahead of time)?

Today, of course, this was more of an issue, because of the weather. I decided to wait for the next bus (a half hour later) and it didn't show up! (At least, as of 10 minutes behind its schedule.) So I trudged to the subway, finally made it to work... SOAKED.

At least I'm mostly dry now.

No comments: