Wednesday, April 18, 2007

"Some Days Are Better Than Others"

Zooropa was, by most accounts, not U2's finest effort. (As an aside, while my observation has been that most critics and fans rank it ahead of Pop in the band's catalog, I give Pop a slight edge and consider Zooropa their worst studio album. Odd, in view of the fact that Zooropa came out right when I started listening to U2, but there you have it.) Towards the end, though, it's got a song that I think sort of hits pretty well on how I feel lately.

"Some Days Are Better Than Others," I suppose, could be read to be about manic depression or just about the variety of emotions and experiences presented by life. That's the way I am lately (though, I don't know, maybe I've always been like this but am only noticing it recently). Some days, I just don't care about what the future holds, or the fact that I'm always single or why that is, I'm just content to sort of enjoy whatever is going on. Every now and then, though, there'll be a day where I feel... almost crushingly isolated. Before I moved to NYC a few years ago, I read something to the effect that sometimes you can feel really lonely in a big city, even when there are lots of people around, or, I suppose, because there are lots of people around and yet you're not connected to any of them, really. Days like that are bad. I'm not going to dwell on this any more, at the moment, because it's a bit depressing thinking about it. Perhaps next time I have one of those days I'll write about it.


Incidentally, the following song on Zooropa, "The First Time," is just beautiful. I have no idea what it's about, but it's beautiful nonetheless.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude. You're almost reliving my life from the last 5 years or so. Stop that! :-P But on a more serious note, I'd like to think that there's a reason for everything and things all have their time. But while you're stuck in the present, nothing makes sense and that sucks. I'm gonna stop being philosophical and reflective now.