Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Wait... what?

I spoke with Airport Girl earlier this evening - she's headed to Missouri for the bar exam next week so I thought I'd check in, see how things were, wish her luck, etc.

Mentioned that I was going out to see a fun local band at a bar in the city on Friday night and asked if AG wanted to join me, but her flight to Missouri is early Saturday so she had to pass. Then she asked what I'm doing the following weekend once she's back into town. After explaining that I had a ticket to go see a concert that Saturday night but may have accidentally thrown it away, I concluded that I didn't think I had any plans yet. She mentioned that she was thinking of getting some people together to go out that Friday night and asked if I was interested in going along; other people she mentioned she was trying to get together included her friend on Long Island who she's been staying with, another law school friend who lives in the city, a couple of her coworkers, and... her fiancé's aunt and uncle's son? Fiancé? What?

The conversation continued and we'll touch base again once AG is back into the city next Friday, and I managed to keep talking without saying something like "hey, wait a minute, did you say you have a fiancé?" But I'm (understandably, I'd say) confused. At no point in any previous conversation had she said anything to the effect of a fiancé or a boyfriend or a significant other of any sort, not even when we had drinks in a hotel bar the night we met (which would seem to be a time a normal person would mention that). Nor was she wearing a ring - I know well enough to check for that. So, yeah... confused. I guess it's certainly possible that I just heard her wrong.

At any rate, I guess I'll just be patient for the time being - wait to hear from her when she gets back, get together if she asks, and see how people are introduced. If I don't get some clarification from context, I suppose I can just ask then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fiance what?

is it possible she said "my friend... and her fiances whatever?"

fiance is definitely something i would mention in any first conversation with any guy i was speaking to who might be vaguely interested in the fact that i was single. like... definitely.